Concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls are often used in commercial and industrial construction, although they may appear in some residential areas as well. While they are often industrial looking, they don’t have to be. If you have quality CMU walls in your Middleburg, PA building, there are a few things you can do to improve their appearance:
- Use colored blocks: Choose colored brick to enhance the entire appearance of your building or wall, or use them to create patterns and shapes. For example, adding one “stripe” of colored blocks around the top or bottom of your building creates visual interest. Colored blocks often come in tan, gray, buff, brown, black, yellow and red. Most colored blocks come in smooth or textured faces, which can greatly enhance your building’s appearance. Ask your masonry contractor or building designer for suggestions—colored blocks won’t add a lot to your overall bill, but they can certainly add a lot of visual impact.
- Try a Cem-Coat: If you can’t color your CMU wall during construction, you can do it afterward with a Cem-Coat. This is a special product that can be applied to CMU walls, which creates a long-lasting opaque color. It can be as opaque or as transparent as you choose. Cem-Coat is either sprayed, rolled or painted on, depending on the texture. If you want a particularly bold color or would like to change the color of your existing CMU wall, this is a great option.
- Choose a unique mortar color: Your masonry blocks make up the bulk of your wall’s visual space, but the mortar itself can account for up to 20 percent. Choosing a different mortar color is a great way to improve its appearance. Whether you want it to blend in with your existing masonry color, complement it or contrast, there are many design effects that you can achieve. This is also a great way to make your building or wall stand out in comparison to other nearby structures.
- Seal the wall: Satin or matte sealer is a more subtle way to add color and visual interest. It’s also a smart way to repel graffiti, repel water and prevent mildew or staining. This isn’t as bold as Cem-Coat, but it can freshen the appearance.
- Use a vertical mix: Finally, you may consider using a vertical mix. This allows you to use the CMU wall as a base, then stamp decorative patterns into the wall. When it’s finished, you can use Cem-Coat or sealer to make the patterns pop.
However you choose to improve your CMU’s appearance, it all starts with great concrete masonry. Beavertown Block Co., Inc. manufactures the blocks you need for the best CMU walls in Middleburg, PA. We offer solutions for commercial, industrial and residential spaces—call us today to learn more about our hardscaping, landscaping and masonry products. No matter what kind of structure you’re building, we offer great solutions. We look forward to hearing from you and scheduling a time to discuss your project in depth!